Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cilantro lime chicken with black beans and rice

Cilantro lime chicken

I used to be anti-Crockpot, but after seeing this slow cooker chicken recipe in my Mom's Club cookbook, I had to try it. (I modified the recipe a bit to make it my own version.) I invented the black beans and rice recipe on my own.

This was very, very good. Even my husband--who's usually anti-chicken--loved it. My daughter loved the rice and beans, which was great, because she's in that 2-year-old phase where it's hard to get her to eat anything but macaroni and cheese with a side of applesauce. 

You can also make it in the oven, following basically the same instructions in a baking pan and baking for 1 hour.

Ingredients for the chicken:
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup of sour cream
16 ounce bottle of salsa--your choice of flavor and heat
1 packet of taco seasoning
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons cilantro (to taste. I don't like Mexican food when it's overpowered by cilantro.)
Fresh guacamole (optional)

Directions:
1. Stir together salsa, taco seasoning, lime juice, and cilantro in a bowl. Pour some of it into the Crockpot or baking dish--just enough to coat the bottom.
2. Coat chicken with sour cream on both sides and place in the Crockpot.
3. Pour the rest of the salsa mixture over the chicken.
4. For the Crockpot, cook on low for about 5 hours. (Crockpots vary in temperature, so I would start checking it at 4 1/2 hours.) Or bake in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Garnish with extra cilantro and guacamole.

Ingredients for the beans and rice:
1 can of seasoned black beans
1 cup of instant brown rice
1 teaspoon of bottled minced garlic
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1/3 cup of diced green bell peppers
1/2 cup of tomato sauce

Directions:
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions, set aside.
2. Sautee the garlic in a pan until golden. Add black beans and chili powder and cook a few minutes. Add green peppers.
3. When the beans are cooked and the peppers are tender, stir in the rice and tomato sauce. Add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste. 

That's it. The entire plate will give you a big dose of protein, healthy fat from the avocados, fiber from the beans and rice, and antioxidants from all the spices.

 Guacamole is proof that God exists.


 As my daughter likes to say: "Ooooh!"


No comments:

Post a Comment